What is the K-1 visa? Who Is Eligible For A K-1 Visa? What is K1 Fiance Visa Cost? and K1 VISA – K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process, Total Time For K1 Visa Completion Everything you need to know.
What Is A K-1 Visa?
A K-1 Visa also named as a Fiance visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to the foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen
The K1 Fiance Visa allows the visa holder to enter the U.S. for up to 90 days to get married and file for Adjustment of Status (to become a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States).
After filing for Adjustment of Status they may reside in the U.S. beyond the 90 day K1 Fiance Visa validity while their Adjustment of Status application is processed.
fiancé(e) has a child (Below 21 and Unmarried), a K-2 non-immigrant visa may be available to him or her. Be sure to include the names of the children on the I-129F petition.
Who Is Eligible For A K-1 Visa?
K-1 Visa Requirements of the U.S. Citizen:
- Candidate need to be a U.S. Citizen to apply for K1 Fiance Visa. If you are a legal permanent resident, you cannot file a petition to bring your fiancé to the United States.
- Candidate must intend to marry your alienfiancé/fiancée within 90 days after he/she enters the U.S.
- After 90 days have lapsed, the K-1 visa will no longer be valid and your fiancé/fiancée will be considered “out of status”.
- Candidate must be legally free to marry.
- Candidate must have met your fiancé/fiancée at least once within the past 2 years.
- Candidate must prove that you can support your beneficiary financially.
- Candidate must submit a copy of your criminal record if you had been convicted for a crime or crimes.
Fees and Expenses For The K1 Visa
Filing Fees (required)
USCIS filing fee: $535
Embassy fee: $265
Other expenses: postage, photocopies (varies)
Total K1 Cost: $800
K1 Visa Process
- Fill out I-129F petition and send to USCIS lockbox (time varies)
- Receive Notice of Action 1 (1 week)
- I-129F petition is approved (3-4 months)
- Case is sent to National Visa Center (1-2 weeks)
- NVC issues case number and sends letter to beneficiary (1-2 weeks)
- Beneficiary/Petitioner pays visa fee (time varies)
- Beneficiary completes online form DS-160
- NVC forwards case to US consulate (1-2 weeks)
- US consulate schedules interview (2-3 weeks)
- Beneficiary schedules & attends medical examination
- Beneficiary attends visa interview
- If K1 visa approved, beneficiary enters the US at port of entry
Total Time For K1 Visa Completion: 7-11 Months.